After falling in love with her new lover Jo Koy, Chelsea Handler believes that everyone has a soul match.
"Men were very discouraging these past couple of years, especially, you know, straight white men," the comic revealed before sponsoring Koy. "And I was like, 'Oh, God, who am I going to end up with?'"
Handler told the crowd that you never know whether the love of your life was right in front of your eyes the whole time. When she recently revealed how she turned her relationship with Jo Koy, who she worked with on her former show "Chelsea Lately," into romance, she received a lot of positive feedback.
Who is Jo Koy? Facts about Chelsea Handler's boyfriend
- Joseph Glenn Herbert Sr, also known as Jo Koy, was born on June 2, 1971.
- He is a stand-up comedian from the United States. He was a regular on E! Late-night show Chelsea Lately as a panelist. Since then, he's had multiple specials on Comedy Central and Netflix.
- He is a Filipino-American citizen. His American father was a member of the United States Air Force stationed in the Philippines when he married Koy's Filipino mother.
- Jo Koy began his stand-up career in 1994 in a Las Vegas comedy club. He was discovered by a talent coordinator in Los Angeles, who earned him his first television appearance on BET's ComicView.
- Jo Koy has received the Showtime at the Apollo award, performed in front of troops on the USO Tour, and appeared in episodes of VH1's I Love the 70s, 80s, and 90s, as well as Tru TV's World's Dumbest and New Millennium.
- Jo Koy was one of only a handful of comedians to receive a standing ovation on Jay Leno's Tonight Show in 2005.
- On Comedy Central, he has two highly-rated and successful comedy specials: Don't Make Him Angry and Lights Out. His third comedy special, Jo Koy: Live from Seattle is a Netflix Original that premiered internationally on March 28, 2017.
- On the concluding night of the Aspen Laugh Festival, Koy did two shows on stage at the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen, CO.
- "Hilarity for Charity," a stand-up comedy night featuring Koy and special surprise comic guests, was the Jo Koy Foundation's first humanitarian event.
- The Children's Hospital of Orange County received the proceeds from the ticket sales. The show took held at The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City, California, in the center of City-walk.
How did Jo Koy find his stage name?
Jo Koy's stage name is derived from a childhood nickname given to him by his family.
He said that in 1989, he was discussing a stage name with his cousin when his aunt summoned him to dinner, shouting, "Jo Ko, eat!" (In Tagalog, Ko means "my," thus Jo Ko means "my Jo.") He misheard her say "Koy," decided it was a wonderful name and has been using it since.
Jo Koy's Instagram account, @jokoy, has 1.3 million followers.
On his YouTube channel @JoKoy, the stand-up comedian has 927k subscribers. His Twitter handle @JoKoy has 2.7 million followers.